Ear piercing is a safe procedure, however, taking good care of your piercing is absolutely important to ensure that a perfect piercing is maintained. Post-piercing problems are primarily the result of poor aftercare. The following ear piercing care guide will help you avoid any issues.
The After Care Instructions:
The following instructions should be verbally given to every client after they have their ears pierced and reinforced by giving them a printed copy of these instructions.
Their ears have been pierced under aseptic conditions with pre-sterilized studs of the highest grade stainless steel or 24k gold plate over stainless steel. In order to ensure a continued infection free result, the following simple instructions should be followed:
- Cleanse the earlobes twice a day WITHOUT REMOVING THE EARRINGS. Use a liberal amount of Ear Care Antiseptic Lotion on a cotton wad and apply on and around the pierced areas, both back and front of the ears. Alternatively, use Ear Care Antiseptic Lotion Spray and spray directly on pierced areas front and back.
- After cleansing the earlobes, rotate the front of the earring (like winding a watch) once or twice. Make sure hands are clean before touching earrings
- Keep hair spray, soap, shampoo and other hair preparations away from the ears. After shampooing the hair, the ear lobe should be thoroughly rinsed with clean water and then repeat step 1.
- The training stud should NOT be removed for six weeks. After the training stud has been removed other post type earrings may be worn.
- Before inserting new earrings into the earlobes, cleanse by soaking in Ear Care Antiseptic Lotion and apply a small amount of an antiseptic cream or gel to the tip of the earring so as to prevent them scratching the inside of the earlobe.
- Some type of post earrings MUST be worn at all times for the first six months otherwise the hole could close over. The post of any earring used should be of quality gold or surgical stainless steel. CAUTION no wire style earrings should be worn for at least four months after the ears have been pierced.
- Should excessive redness, irritation, itching or soreness occur, direct the client to consult their family doctor.